Thursday, September 14, 2023

Thursday Practice

 

I rode The Star Ship (BMW R2100RT) down to Hatfield to work with Paul C. this morning. I've been thinking about riding down for weeks now but the threat of thunderstorms has kept me in a car. This morning ii's a bit cool but it looks like several dry days in a row....Yippee!

I did a short Warm Up and a Round (left side) in the driveway before I left for Paul's.

When I got there I changed and we went upstairs to Paul's Tai-Chi room. (very nice space)

We started with a short Warm Up concentrating on BIG - OPEN movements. We had a discussion about fascia and stretching the skin in relationship to the Warm Ups and Tai-Chi.

We then did short Standing Meditation working on his vertical alignment. His lower back locked up so we moved on to some walking (the Go To exercise). Once he was able we did a short "Pulling The Ch'i" then moved in Wave Hands Like Clouds with hands only then he started to add the footwork. After a few minutes of that we reviewed the first dozen movements to Part I of the solo Tai-Chi Form. He also did a little improvising with Tai-Chi like movements. I encouraged him to do that.

After a little rest we did Single Arm Push-Hands on both sides. His left side was working much better than the right. He is left handed. We did Push-Hands for quite awhile. He did get fatigued.

We finished with him punching two pillows that I held for him. The few minutes of punching the pillows were his most energetic actions of the session. I've seen that before! I must remember to do that with him every time we train.

When I got home I practiced Drum Set for an hour or so. Working on placing my high-hat on the & of every beat in a shuffle. Working on independence with the ride (right hand) and backbeat (left hand) to shuffle, full triplet or straight time, all the while my feet, high-hat (left foot) and bass drum (right foot) are doing a shuffle. Excellent exercise for neuroplasticity.

My Ludwig kit is set up to record with in The Loft. It's a total dream to play! High end maple shells and finish by Steinway (as in piano Steinway). The veneer is African Makaray. A type of mahogany that is burled.