Saturday, January 27, 2024

Saturday Practice


 Another wash out of a sunrise, thick fog and sea mist, totally grey and colorless. Looking north you could barely see 100 yards, the fog and sea mist were so thick.

Eventually the sun did break through! It did get brighter;^)

The Details:

The sunrise was at 7:16, high tide at 9:52. It's 66 here at the house. There was on soft sand and wet sand. I practiced as close to the water line as I thought prudent with the tide rising. 

It's supposed to reach near 80 this afternoon. There was a  steady breeze was coming from the south. I thought it would be warmer, but alas. I was happy I wore a windbreaker.

The Practice:

After taking a look out the back door at the house. I could tell it was going to be another wash out. I didn't bring my camera and tripod to the beach. I used my phone camera and brought my walking cane to practice with.

I started with a full warm up using The 10+. These qigong's are so special. I feel privileged to have been taught them by Dr. Leung Kay-Chi back in '79. At times when I was teaching full-time ('78-2016) I would do a round of The 10 Exercises with every class (23 per week). I thankful to still have them in my daily life and to be healthy enough to still do them. I add and subtract regularly, almost with each and every iteration.  

I practiced in semi-soft, semi-wet, sand, what I refer to as quick sand; If you stand on one leg in semi-wet sand, in a few moments the sand underneath your foot will turn to mush and your balance will be compromised. Tricky for balancing on one leg. Mainly because of the soft/wet sand I focused on stability and agility. 

Next I did a Round (left side) focused on being light and agile. 

Next I did a round of Anyo Dalawa and Seisan Kata focused on stability and agility. I found that the exercises that I'm currently doing at the gym are substantially helping my form, especially my external forms, I notice the ease of kicking as I loosen up my hips.

Next I used my walking cane to do a round of all 4 Modern Arnis Cane Anyo's. The extra weight and length of my walking cane is really productive in the development of the postures and flow of those cane forms.