Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Wednesday Practice @ Paul's

 

  From the driveway looking west towards the back yard. I shot this wide angle with my phone camera.


The Details:

It's 59 here at the house. Sunrise was at 5:16


The Practice:

I did a Round (right side) in the driveway before driving to Paul's in Hatfield.

I started with a brief round of The 10+ doing only a few of each.

Next I drove to Hatfield for 10am

When I arrived at Paul's we went upstairs to his beautiful Taiji Room

I started with empty hand single Sinawalli with moderate success.

Next a brief warm up mostly the neck and upper body.

Paul was tired from 4 days of visitors this past week.

Next we did a push and pull version of single arm Push-Hands. He is having trouble putting his weight on the right side.

Next we walked around my knapsack, with the idea to keep a constant distance from the knapsack.

Next we worked on Dorsiflexion. As we age there's usually on foot that is more difficult to 'pull back' than the other. A combination of tight calf and weak front of shin. Working on it regularly will yield results. Daily is best. 

With any method:

Consistency is more critical that intensity.....Always!

Lastly we did 3/4 of Part I of the Taiji Solo Form - I focused on the proper sequence for the introduction.

Paul said he was tired, so we stopped training and went down stairs.

I watched him go down the stairs. 

Afterwards I made a few suggestions.

He did a little practice on the first few steps going up and down holding on to the railing. Working on his 'Stair Climbing Method' both going up and then coming down. It seems that going down is more difficult than going up. Going up he is using a lot of pulling himself up with both hands.

Hopefully the PT person will address going up and down stairs during his PT appointment this afternoon.

I drove back to Leyden and stopped for gas and groceries on the way.