Friday, June 7, 2024

Friday Practice - Three Heavies & Three Lights

 

The Details:

It's 60 at the house. The sunrise was at 5:13.

The Practice:

I practiced in my main practice spot. It was shaded and full of Tree Qi, just a delightful spot to practice internal arts. With gratitude and appreciation.

I started with a full round of The 10+ tuned into the multitude of health benefits that I get from regularly doing this set. Bow to Dr. Leung Kay-Chi for teaching them to me back in '79.

Note: I've been doing Snake & Hawk Palm for #9 regularly and again today. Very productive!

Next I did a Round of Taiji (left side) tuned into keeping the correct sequence and staying on the left side without inadvertently switching to the right. Both sides feel exactly the same to me these days. I guess I've graduated? Well it certainly takes more attention to the sequence. Lately I feel that it's a type of daydreaming that pulls me out of the correct sequence. 

Doing 'A Round A Day' is so ordinary for me, at this point, that it's changed, like it or not, that's what happens as time goes on. You can run but you can not hide from father time. My advice is to relax and enjoy the experience. 

Next I did a round of Anyo Walo focused on quality basics and full extension of the kicks.

Next I did a round of Sanchin Kata tuned into the internal aspects of this form, connecting the breath and tan t'ien movements to the fist, fingers and palms.

Next I used my Dragon Canes to do a double stick warm up and Arnis basics. Followed by a round of Taiji Double Dao (broadsword) Form. Tuned into using the canes as you would Indian Clubs for health and longevity. IF you use heavy enough canes a lot of Modern Arnis techniques can be used just like Indian Clubs....Cool! 

I finished with a Healing Qigong.


An excerpt from Master Paul Gallagher's book Drawing Silk:

Three Heavies and Three Lights:

Using this principle you can create relaxation with alert awareness throughout your body. (Heavy means sunk and deeply relaxed and has no connotations of stiffness or immobility). Keep your knees heavy (slightly bent), elbows heavy (to relax shoulders and chest), and tip of lower spine heavy (like the plumb on the end of a line), fingertips light, and eyes light (no fixed or strained expression). The light head and fingertips counterbalance the heavy coccyx and elbows.