Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Tuesday Practice @ The Studio

 

The Details:

It's 61 at the house. The sunrise was at 6:03. It's cool and wet but it's not raining. I'll be going into The Studio to teach the Taiji and Qigong class this morning.


The Practice:

I had a nice group show up: Nancy was first, she arrived at about the same time I did, next was Jack, then Pat, soon after Janee came in followed by Lucy. Very good energy in the room....Lot's of smiles!

I started with a bit of an explanation about the opening movement of Master Duans, Wuji Hundun Qigong; the stretch at the wrist and the spiraling of the forearms. I added one more exercise to what I've been doing with the class over the past few weeks. 

Next I did a round of The 21 tuned into the proper amount of stretch. Like tuning a guitar string, every strand of muscle is a guitar string. It takes a lot of attention to detail to tune a 6 string guitar, but way more effort is needed to 'tume' a human being. I refer to this as 'calibrating' oneself; Mentally, Physically and Spiritually.

Next we did Brush Knee and Twist Step 3 ways

1. Repeating the single movement on both sides in a line

2. Hold and adjust the conclusion of the posture

3. With a partner - determine which hand is Yin and which is Yang

Next the same sequence with Wave Hands Like Clouds

I added a solo application to the single movement training, pointing out the 'Chop' with the forward hand and the redirect (block) with the rear hand. One of the 'secrets' is to keep ALL the opposites in mind until you don't have to think about it the same way, because it turns into a feeling. FYI - There should be NO violent intent when you practice applications, rather it's pure science and operates on a higher level than mere self-defense. IF one becomes proficient at the application of Taiji techniques in real time, it takes a lot of practice and time in. The myriad of skills needed for self-defense are a latent effect of proper training IMO. There are other martial arts and methods that are much quicker at training skills for self-defense. Taiji is much more than self-defense. 

IMO Taiji is very slow to produce real world self-defense skills, especially if you do not focus on SD. 

You have to train self-defense skills very specifically, for example you have to actually hit targets. My fear is that students can convince themselves that they have skills that they really do not possess. IMO Classical Taiji Training is not a good fit for the average person wanting to learn to defend themselves. 

Next we did a Round of Taiji to T. T.'s Taiji Music without the count. Besides the timing I encouraged awareness of which hand was Yin and which one is Yang at any point in the Solo Taiji Form. The Taiji paradigm is always present and is continually changing.

Before the Round I talked about the timing that I was going to use; stopping at the & of the last beat of the posture and beginning again on the one of the next posture. I consciously did put a count to it, in order to make it easier to follow me, without having to worry about staying in time. 

After the Round I did a brief Healing Qigong

Next I did a round of Taiji Jian with Pat, Jack and Janee I recited the names of the postures as we went through the form.

Next I repeated a middle section of the form that I saw Pat needed a bit of clarification of that particular part. The nice thing about refining is that it really doesn't matter which particular posture that you are polishing (refining) because the same process needs to be repeated with all the posture, over and over. So it's nice when someone who might be newer to that form or practice because it gives us another opportunity to talk through it, go slower, explain what you are trying to do and point out what you are currently working on (if it's appropriate) 

We ended with Lazy D on the left side. 

I talked a little bit about Master Liang saying that all Forms, Weapons and Empty Hand, Solo and Two Person should be practiced on both sides.