Friday, December 29, 2023

Friday Practice

 

     The squadrons of pelicans were at it again this morning. When I watch them skimming the waves...

                                                                  I'm in awe!!

                                         At sunrise looking south.....Breathe deeply!

The Photo:

The sunrise was at 7:17 the last low tide was at 3:53. It was cold (low 50's) with a N/E breeze. I dressed for it with long johns and gloves, my ear flap fleece hat with my hood up. It was clear (thus the cold), but not much color. I was a bit late this morning, Echo's flapping kept me up most of the night. I got up about an hour later that usual. Luckily the sun doesn't rise until 7:17 this time of year, so I had a little leeway. 

It's the second day in a row that I didn't bring my camera or tripod. I took these photos with my Motorola phone camera. It felt weird going to sunrise without a camera and tripod. Habits are a strange thing to experience. Today marks 50 consecutive days of sunrise practices this season. With gratitude and appreciation.


The Practice:

There were a lot of tourists on the beach this morning, walking, jogging, sitting and just being at sunrise. I have to admit it was a bit distracting, but I managed it by going even more inside myself one of my goals is to not allow the distractions of folks walking by pop me out of my meditative state of mind. It's harder when they pass by really close and are talking really loudly on their phones (common) or with their walking partner (also common). The most distracting thing for me is when folks on electric bikes pass by withing a few feet, going very fast. Incredibly inconsiderate!! My goal is to keep the fast bikers, from startling me.  

I started with The 10+ focusing on my 'shape' and getting the proper amount of engagement of my connective tissue and internal and external alignments. 

Next I did a Round (left side) connecting to the horizon and the ocean. 

Next I reviewed Anyo Pito (#7) and Sunsu Kata focused on full extention of kicks and punches. I had a bit of trouble with Anyo Pito; Distracted by passers by. There were a few folks that came withing a few feet of me, as if I was a lamp pole. Oy! The level of narcissism in our culture is very apparent when I practice on the beach (public spaces in general). Oh well, I attempt to keep myself in a meditative state. Challenging at times for sure!

Next I did a double cane warm up and basics. 

Followed by a healing qigong before heading back to the house.