Thursday, April 25, 2024

Thursday Practice

 

I shot this with my phone camera. I waited until the sun warmed things up to a balmy 40! Oy!! It was lovely on the deck out of the wind.

The Details: 

The sunrise was at 5:51 and it's 32 here at the house....Brrr!

It looks like it's going to be clear and warmer this afternoon.


The Practice:

I practiced on the deck again. I started with the first half of Master Haywards 30 Warm Ups and then went into The 10+ starting at #5.

Next I did a Round (right side) using Master T. T. Liang's music with him counting

Next I did a short Spear session in the driveway. I also found my metal Jian and the Dao that was bequeathed to me after Master Liang passed in 2002

Next I did a Round (left side) using Master Liangs music without the count. I lost a beat somewhere in Part III. Oh well, tomorrows another day. 

Next I did a round of Bagua Zhang working on Snake And Sparrow Palm and Yin/Yang Circle Walking


Notes:

During my Rounds I focused on Yang Chenfu's first principle:

*Copied from a hand out from Master Paul B. Gallagher

#1 - "Suspend the crown of the head lightly and alertly."

Master Paul's commentary: *"Preserving energy on the crown of the head (i.e. suspending the head) means that the head must be held perfectly erect, so that the spirit can reach the crown of the head. One must not use force; if one uses force the muscles of the neck will be strained and the result that qi and blood will not be able to circulate freely. Rather, one must have  light and alert feeling. if the crown of the head is not suspended lightly and alertly the spirit of vitality cannot be raised."