Saturday, May 11, 2024

Saturday Practice - #10


 I shot this image with my phone camera about mid morning from The Deck looking south toward Beaver Meadow and East Hill.


The Details:

It's 45 here at the house. The sunrise was at 5:32.


The Practice:

I practiced on The Deck. It's easiest with tea and 'stuff' 

I started with a full round of The 10+. I focused on #9 using #3 Change from Yin Fu's 8 Palms. I did both versions of #3. One from the First Yin Fu Set (from Wang Shujin - with the 'kick up') and the other from the 8 Palms Set. I've been consistently working on Snake & Hawk Palm this year. 

Next I did a round of The Old 8 Palms from Cheng T'ing Hwa BaguaZhang tuned into opening without contracting, Breathing in the fresh, breathing out the old and stale. I cultivated Nature's Qi throughout the set.

Next I did a Round (left side) to Master T. T. Liang counting out the beats to the music. I stayed with the count and reflected on the tranquillity and flow that I can access from doing a Round of Taiji with Master Liang counting. Pretty awesome it is!! 

Next I wore 2 1/2 lbs wrist weights and did a round of Anyo Anim tuned into posture and positions. The idea is to strengthen not injure my shoulders (whole body).

Next I did a round of Kusanku Kata tuned into the agility, coordination and strengthening that can be cultivated by doing this Kata.


Throughout the session I stayed tuned into Principal #10

Yang Cheng Fu's Ten Essential Points of Taiji Quan:

#10 "In movement seek tranquility."

Master Paul's commentary:
"The eternal arts are proficient in leaping and making forceful movements. The exhaust the breath and strength so that after practicing them one must pant for want of breath. Taiji Quan uses tranquillity to control movement. Although one moves, one remains tranquil, so that in practicing the postures the more slowly one moves the better. When one moves slowly the movement of the breath becomes long and deep, qi sinks to the tan t'ien, and the excessive tensing of the blood vessels is avoided. If the student examines carefully (each principle) and makes it his own through constant practice, how can he fail to acquire the true meaning of all the above?