Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Tuesday Practice

 

A Black Skimmer skimming at sunrise this morning. I need my Cannon camera with a telephoto lens to really capture one (or more) of these guys skimming the shallows. It's pretty common to see them both in the morning and again on my late afternoon walk.

The very first shot this morning.
A photo from yesterday afternoon's beach walk.


The Details: 

The sunrise was at 7:15, low tide at 5:46. It's 49 at the house. It was cold on the beach. 


The Practice:

I brought my camera and tripod down with me. It looked clear and a little colorful, so I thought, why not?

I had a slightly easier time getting myself on the beach for sunrise this morning. I got a boost to my appreciation after listening to folks last night on Sifu Ray's monthly 'check in'. So many folks had injuries and jobs that limited their practice. I have no such excuse! I have the time, the life style (early to bed, early to rise) and I'm retired......Like I said I had an easier time getting up and going this morning, even though it may be coldest morning this season. I had a ton of gratitude and appreciation to be healthy enough and motivated enough to DO the practices that I've spent a life time acquiring. My suggestion to those that are trying to get a consistent daily practice going; Don't overthink! Ignore the internal dialog and just DO IT!

Don't think, just do!

I started with a full warm up using The 10+. It was cold and I was tight from the gym yesterday. The 10 felt great!!

Next I did a Round (left side) focused on releasing tension.

The secret to releasing a contracted muscle is to recognize that it is (overly) tense to begin with. 

I adjusted Golden Rooster Stands On One Leg (To announce the dawn) increasing my awareness of my tailbone releasing down and my knee comes up.

I also adjusted my breathing throughout the form as if a 'goose down feather was in front of my nose'. Barely breathing increasing the release of intrinsic oxygen that is in the cells. I've experienced this sensation while 'free diving', running out of breath at depth and getting more oxygen as I return to the surface. 

Next  I did a round of Anyo Lima and Chinto Kata focused on the quality of my basics; Full extension on punches and kicks. It was cold and I was tighter than I usually am. I noticed it mostly on the kicks. I didn't push it!

Next I used my dragon canes to do a round of Taiji Double Broadsword focused on 'around the head' and how those movements are good for my shoulders and neck. 

I finished with a Healing Qigong before returning to the house. 

I'm going to drive up to Gaff's around 9......