Saturday, June 29, 2024

Friday Practice in Leyden

 

I shot this image of my Tama 4 piece drum kit, with a 18" kick and my Premiere 2000 snare drum. I plan to use this kit with these cymbals for the afternoon party gig that I'm playing tomorrow afternoon in Greenfield. I'll tear them down and pack 'em up later today or early tomorrow morning. The gig is at 2 pm.

The Details:

It was in the 50's this morning. A cool start to the day. Very pleasant temperature to train in. 


The Practice:

I started with rudiments on a practice pad. Then I went out into The Barn for a practice session on my Tama drum kit, focused on trying to knock the rust off after 14 days of travel away from a drum kit. I did bring sticks with me and used them a few times to do rudiments on a foot stool in our state room. It's not good for the whole kit but it's very good for stick control. Ya kinda have to do some pad work, then rudiments on the kit with an ostinato with the feet; either quarter notes (4 on the floor) or Samba with the high hat on 2 & 4 or quarter notes. Great drummers take the time to develop at least a few of the 26 basic rudiments. At least Single and Double stroke rolls and Single Paradiddle. It's like the basics in martial arts. The master embraces the practice of basics. It's an aspect of refining one's art. 

Next I went outside to my main practice area near Big Greenie and did a full round of The 10+

I shot this with my phone camera. Ed came while we were away to mow the fields. He's been mowing every year since we moved here in 2003. Without his help the fields would be no longer. It would be small trees and underbrush.


Next I did a Round (left side) tuned into sinking my qi, feeling the earth pushing up against the bottoms of my feet and following Jin up to my finger tips.

I finished with a short Standing session and a Healing Qigong