Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Wednesday Practice at Paul's

 

Paul's Taiji Room


A close up of Hall of Happiness by Prof. Cheng Man-Ching

The Details:

It's 62 at the house. It rained last night and it's damp but it's not currently raining. Yay! Sunrise was at 5:49.


The Practice:

I started out in the driveway. It was lightly raining so I did most of my personal practice in the apron on my garage in front of my Volvo. 

I started with a brief warm up followed by a Round (left side) I focused on consistent daily practice and the health benefits that produces. Taiji and Qigong/Neigong are truly marvelous exercises.

I have gratitude and appreciation that I have these skills to bring into old age. (bow)

Next I drove my Volvo to Hatfield to meet with Paul for 10 am.

When I got to Paul's we went upstairs to his Taiji Room 

We started with:

- Up and Down trying to move the elbows above the head (big open movements)

- #1 stretching and opening going back and all the forward like tying your shoes. 

I added palms up and down to promote the flow of Qi

- #2 attempting to reach as high as possible

- #8 (functional exercise) squating as low as possible.

Next we did:

- Open and close the hands to prepare for pad work

- Jab and Cross to focus pads w/ stance work. The bouncing did not work. I suspect that it was just too fast and his sneakers got caught up on the floor. 

- A round of Part I of the Taiji Solo Form slightly pausing in each posture and talking out loud throughout the round to help prompt the postures. 

- Big Circles in both directions

- Single Arm Push-Hands first with resistance. Paul was closing his eyes without prompting.

-  We ended with walking first counter clockwise then reversing direction.