Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Sunrise Tuesday 12.01.20 - *****Fifth installment Qigong Walking


 Sunrise Tuesday 12.01.20

Still amazes me how each and every sunrise is unique! Like a finger print or a snow flake. No two are alike.
How is it possible that, since the beginning of time, EVERY SINGLE SUNRISE has been unique. HOW??
I captured this moment just before sunrise. It was cold (mid 40's) and windy (steady 15+) on the beach.
I needed ear muffs, long pants, wind proof jacket and gloves and still.....I froze my fingers snapping photos and then tried to warm up (The 10 Exercises) and decided I needed a round of Bagua Zhang (Yin Fu first set) to get the blood moving. It worked;^) Then I went on to a round of T'ai Chi and a brisk Qigong Beach Walk, followed by some Standing Meditation and a round of The 21.
Life is Good.....With gratitude and appreciation!

***** Qigong Walking
Once you are aligned, relaxed, released and expanded, feeling the forward momentum articulated at the thoracic vertebra with the hips and shoulders gently stretching and releasing in opposite directions (like cross country skiing - Opposite hand and foot foward/backward) then add in awareness of how you are breathing.

1. Inhale and exhale through the nose. This is extremely important!

2. The abdomen expands on the inhale as the diaphragm contracts and descends. The inhale expansion is centered from the lower Dan Tien and expands in ALL directions. The movement of the abdomen is active any movement of the rib cage and back are passive. Abdomen expands first then the back and sides of the rib cage. Caution to keep the shoulders and upper chest DOWN and relaxed/released.

3. Exhale in the reverse order.

4. Exhale longer than you inhale.

5. Strive to make the breath cycle approximately 10 ish seconds. But....Do Not Strain

6. Breathing should be:
    Slow,
    Fine,
    Even,
    and Soft

NOTE: While Qigong Walking I simply count my steps. A typical pattern is 4 steps to inhale 6 steps to exhale. Then I adjust according to how I feel that day. Some days I expand the time other days I reduce to say 3 steps in, 4 steps out. Main idea is to stay relaxed, breath without strain, but breath out longer than you breath in.

Now the hard part:
DOING IT

Advice:

DON'T WAIT for the perfect time, day, etc...Just DO IT:^)