Saturday, February 25, 2023

Saturday Practice

 




The Photo:

It was warm this morning (67) with an on and off again gentle breeze from the west. The tide was low at 7:00 and the sun rose at 6:54 this morning. 

The county opened the 22nd Ave Boardwalk (over the dunes). So I had a much better access to the beach. I have been walking up to the 20th Ave Boardwalk all season, after hurricane Ian washed out many of the beach access walkovers (I call the Boardwalks). It's much faster and immensely easier to simply walk down to the end of my street.  What an upgrade!

The Practice:

There was a lot of beach to work with this morning. I ended up close to the water line where the sand gives way (too wet) if you stand in one place for awhile. The sand is solid at first then turns to mush. It made the kicks very challenging;^) I could have moved closer to the dunes where the sand is hard packed and dryer. But I made due in the 'quicksand'; I was having fun messing around with the challenge.

I continue to adjust the timing of my movements to further assist my state of continual 'relaxed balance'. There are still several places in the form that I have to consciously attend to. I've been practicing the solo form since 1979. Old habits are more difficult to break. 

All training requires the fortitude to break old habits. Kinda like renovating a kitchen, you would have to take out the old kitchen in order to replace it with the new kitchen. There's NO way around it. As time goes on you'll find that EVERYTHING that you are attempting to refine will need to be renovated or overhauled. It's the natural way. 

1. Breath out the old (Release - Song)

2.  Breath in the new



Notes:

This morning on the beach I saw:

Dale, who is leaving tomorrow for his northern home in Ontario. He and his wife have been here for 2 months. Safe travels Dale!


Bob and Mike stopped on their way back walking south. Mike is starting to get some results from strengthening his right shin muscles, so that he will be able to lift his toes while his heel is on the ground. This morning I suggested that he could add stretching his right calf muscles. Explaining that the tighter the calf muscles are, the more resistance and difficult it will be to lift the front of your foot off the ground. 

Kim riding her bicycle north.

The 4 walkers to wave to.

A couple other regular sunrise beach walkers that I haven't spoken to....Yet!