Sunday, October 8, 2023

Sunday Practice

The grasses are really beautiful this season. 
I practiced and taught in the driveway this morning.

It's cool out this morning. I started with a short Warm Up and a Round (left side) before my private  showed up. I have a  9-11 am Private Lesson scheduled this morning with Malcolm. 

It's wonderful to have influence on the next generations of Martial Artists from my lineages. I take the  'job' of handing the Arts off to the next generation, very seriously. 

During the Private Lesson:

Reviewed the first 4 (1/2 the system) American Karate Kata, adding awareness of some detail:

One suggestion is to 'Know Your Destination'. Simply hold each posture and check it for accuracy of Alignment and Release. The 'Standard' is found in the first Wuji Standing Meditation posture.

Realize that you are 'Setting Your Standard' when you first approach 'it' (no matter what 'it' is!).

Take your time to do your best to evolve 'it'. Realize it takes time, effort and patience (+ consistency and perseverance) to achieve anything that is worthwhile!

Do the best you can, until you know better, than do better. 

Realize that nothing is perfect in this world!

I suggest to set your personal Standard as high as you can. Don't sell yourself short, as long as your 'High Standard'  doesn't stop you from approaching 'it' (whatever 'it' is) or encourages you to put others down.

How to refine? Some ideas that I've used:

Hold Postures - Become more aware of Alignment, Release, Breathing, Relaxed Balance - Adjust as needed.

Develop loops of short segments of movements. Go Slow! 

When I first learned Tai-Chi I would do repetitions of Brush Knee Twist Step from one end of Beacon Field to the other and Repulse Monkey back. I've subsequently practiced most things this way. It's also reminiscent of practicing Drum Rudiments and Scales on other instruments.

I suggested several adjustments and a few 'internal' ideas to The 10 Exercises. Too numerous to mention here.

I also watched the first 3 Modern Arnis Anyo and had similar suggestions as did with his Karate Kata.

I also watched the first 3 Cane Anyo. One idea is that all the Low Cane Postures in the Cane Anyo's need to be effective blocks first, then they can also be thought of as effective leg/knee strikes.

I find it interesting that I gave two Private Lessons this weekend and had such a wide spread of ages and abilities. Very interesting indeed. 

With gratitude and appreciation.....Bow from the waist!