Monday, January 15, 2024

Monday - Martin Luther King - Practice

 

About 15 minutes after sunrise the sun peaked through the clouds. It was a total wash out at sunrise, cloudy and grey. Taken with my phone camera.

                                   Zoomed in with my Sony camera just after sunrise

Zoomed out with my Sony camera. It was another wash out of a sunrise, cloudy and grey....Oh well! All I can do is to show up. I get what I get! Even the grey wash outs have a beauty all there own. Although it is a different energy I still feel the earth moving and the wind, tides, clouds and light changing. It's a privilege to be able to participate in it on such a regular basis. I'm becoming more and more a part of the landscape. I'm sure I'm a curiosity, perhaps even a novelty to the regulars and certainly to the tourists. I attempt to stay focused on the horizon and the mist at the distance and to not let the passersby pop me out of the meditative experience that I'm having. On a good day this includes the interactions with folks while I'm practicing. I'd like to balance the Yin/Yang balance so that when I'm practicing I don't project a "stay away" vibe. I find that when I'm in deep contemplation it tends to push folks away, because they don't want to disturb me while I'm in such a deep state of being. I feel that is not the energy that I would like to be steeped in. I'd prefer a more balanced state of being that doesn't feel that exclusive. I'll always stop what I'm doing to have an interaction with folks. It's part of what I'm doing to be a more balanced practitioner. 


The Photo:

The sunrise was at 7:19, low tide 5:37. It's 60 here at the house. There was very little wind and lot's of hard packed sand to practice on.

Nisann stopped by and she introduced me to her husband Craig. I was just starting Part II and initially Nisann was going to follow along. Monkey see, monkey do kind of thing, but then she never did join in we just talked. It seems that Craig's dad practices Isshinryu and earned his black belt. All types of Karate are more difficult as we age. IMO Tai Chi, Qigong and other internal styles are better suited for those of us over 60. That having been said whatever you'll do is the best choice as long as you can keep doing it. 

I also saw two regular beach walkers and Nevin too! There were more folks on the beach this morning I guess because of the lower tide and warmer temps. 

The sunrise weather has been up and down....Yesterday I was cold and this morning, I was very overdressed! Oy!!


The Practice:

I started with The 10+ and a Round (right side) focused on No Mind....Unconscious Competency! Observing more than controlling. I have many principles trained in and like drum set playing it's best to no overthink. There's a time for technical practice (yang) and there's a time for intuitive and improvisational practice (yin). Overthinking ruins everything!

Next I reviewed Anyo Anim (#6) and Kusanku Kata. The sequence and techniques are becoming clearer and clearer with every iteration. I focused on solid basics and more pop (focus) on hand techniques and extension on kicks. 

Next a Healing Qigong and then back to the house.