Thursday, February 23, 2023

Thursday Practice

 

The Photo:

It was in the mid 60's with a pleasant S S/E breeze. The tide was out, low tide was at 5:25 and the sun rose at 6:56 am this morning. There was plenty of hard packed sand to practice on. Very pleasant on the beach this morning.


The Practice:

Today I most of my time contemplating the effect of doing my practice (s) daily. There is something that happens once you are able to join one practice to the next practice (and so on) with a sleep cycle in between practices. Building a daily practice is essential to advance to higher levels.

I met a woman this morning that has been studying T'ai Chi for 4 years. My only question to her was: "Are you practicing on your own, outside of classes?" She gave the most common answer that I hear from folks that have gone to a class. I don't think she thought that was a 'thing'.

Imho one of the main goals is for the prospective practitioner to develop regular attendance to classes. Then the goal is to practice on your own. Then the goal changes to daily practice on your own. Yes, going to class counts!

Daily practice (or at least regular and often) is essential for moderate to advanced levels. This "practice paradigm" pertains to all activities. There is no method that doesn't require effort. In fact the more sophisticated the endeavor is the more effort it will take. Think learning to play classical music on a piano as compered to learning Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Learning to play Bach will require a regular practice ethic. 

"Anything worth having is worth working for"


In the end, no matter the endeavor, there is only:

Doing - Not Doing



The task is actually much larger than getting yourself to practice daily.

The bigger goal (self mastery) is to continue to practice throughout your lifetime until such time that you no longer can practice. In my experience; It's usually the mind that gives up, not the body. 

What's lost on a lot of students, is that the effect of committing to daily practice, is profound and the exact results is not attainable any other way. 

Daily practice will change your life. 

Approaching your daily practice and the inner dialogue that you have with yourself (think procrastination and excuses)  is one of the main ways that martial arts training can greatly contribute to Indomitable Spirit:

Never, ever give up!


Once you have a daily practice in place. The next significant goal is to 'self-correct' on the fly with little to no emotional reaction. Caution this one is really tough. Become your own worst critic...But with no emotional content. Observe and correct/adjust from the third person perspective. Be very clear with yourself with 1. What 2. How you are doing whatever!

"Do your best until you know better, 

than do better"


Regular practice is never going to be easier than as a beginner. 



Notes:

I met Kim when she stopped as I was doing my Round. She studies T'ai Chi with Rhonda on the beach. She invited me to the class. She told me that Rhonda is only teaching on the beach in NSB, one month per year and her last class this season is this coming Saturday. 



I met Rhonda in 2017 on the beach when I approached her during one of her class breaks. Rhonda used to teach at the 27th Ave ramp/beach access/park. She was very pleasant and invited me to attend her classes. I thought about it but decided to continue to practice T. T. Liang style T'ai Chi Ch'uan on my own. After hurricane Ian and Nicole that beach access was shut down. I'm not sure exactly where she is teaching now.