Saturday, March 11, 2023

Saturday Practice

 

The Photo:

It was cooler this morning (low 60's). The earliest sunrise so far this season at 6:39 am! Tonight is 'spring ahead' one hour to tomorrow mornings sunrise will be at 7:38 am with low tide at 7:03. Nice!!

This morning the last low tide was at 5:19 so the tide was coming in and I had to adjust my practice spot up the beach several times. I was playing tag (push-hands) with the ocean. Fun!!

The wind started out coming from the west and then shifted around to the north and then shifted again to the N N/W. It was pretty steady at 5-10. Pleasant!!

Plenty of hard packed sand to practice on.


The Practice:

This morning I focused on the principle of balance (Zhong Ding) starting out first with my physical body. Balancing stretch with release, like tuning a guitar string, tuning in a specific frequency. Then balancing and counter-balancing in the field of gravity, allowing the stream of gravity to flow through my bones, releasing excess tension in the belly of the larger muscles and connective tissue, thus allowing the joints to open and expand, connecting the entire body with fascia and other connective tissue. 

Using Pore Breathing I saturated every cell with qi right to the bone marrow. 

Then I focused on balancing the use of my mind/intent

1. Avoiding over-thinking

2. Avoiding under-thinking

Seeking a balance between the two


Balancing mind-intent and spirit

Observing and adjusting the physical & mental body, from a third party perspective, without emotional attachment to right or wrong, good or bad, correct or incorrect. 


FYI - The 'my way is better than your way' theme is common/average in the martial arts world.

My personal suggestion is:

"Seek your path then follow it with heart"

There are many routes to the top of a mountain, but if you keep changing routes, you'll end up going around in circles! It sure is nice to see a mile marker, street sign or vista every now and again it helps with deepening ones commitment to the 'path'.

"When you're tired rest, don't quit"

"The real deal takes time, effort and patience, no matter the method!"

You can quote me on this;^)

Notes:

I had a couple of nice interactions with folks on the beach this morning.

First with Rich and Stanley (the Golden Retriever) and his family. I captured a couple of photos of Rick and Stanley earlier this week and I exchanged a biz card with him so I can text him a photo or two. Nice!

                                                                      Rick and Stanley 

Then Bob and Mike stopped to chat. Mike is getting some relief from the Toe Ups exercise that he has been practicing. Consistency yields results. I was happy to hear it. He also reported that from strengthening the muscles on the shin side of his lower leg and stretching the calf, his knee pain is diminishing. Doubly nice!!

I also saw the 4 walkers but there were only 2 this morning.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring at 7:38 am?? Fun!