Thursday, March 9, 2023

Thursday Practice


 The Photo:

Yippee after two days not being able to make it to the sunrise I'm finally here!! Yippee!!!

It was a little cooler this morning in the low 60's with a steady breeze from the E S/E. Sunrise was at 6:42 this morning and the last low tide was 4:09 am, so the tide was coming in. I played tag (push-hands) with the ocean as I practice as close to the waterline as I could. I did not get my sneakers wet....Yay!

The Practice:

I was pleased to be able to get to the beach at sunrise this morning. Our dog Lucy is doing a little better, she had a better night. 

After missing sunrise for a couple of days, I really enjoyed practicing in the beach and sunrise energy again this morning. It's so special and I have much gratitude and appreciation that I'm able to do this long term experiment: What would happen IF I were to 1. Practice T'ai Chi Ch'uan daily! 2. Practice in a 'special spot' whenever possible. For me it's the ocean and beach and the forest and mountains. Frankly any and all natural settings work well for me. 

I'm actively cultivating an extraordinary appreciation of nature; Daily!

I focused on connecting the fascia and connective tissue from finger tip to feet. I started with this principle during my warm ups where I get a strong visceral  'feeling of facial connection' from head to toe. This is a bit more challenging to keep that connected feeling throughout the solo form. 

I noticed when I wasn't feeling the fascial connection, tempering my reaction and simply adjusting accordingly searching for a more connected feeling. 

The other principle I found myself focusing on the idea of a small circle at the moment one movement ended and was transitioning into the next movement. I first paid extra attention to this principle while I was practicing #8 (Wuji Squats) of The 10 Exercise. I find it's a pretty easy place to focus and feel the small circles at the bottom and top of the squats. I then brought that feeling into the rest of my practice.

Notes:

I met Rick and his dog Stanley this morning. I've been seeing him lately bringing Stanley to the beach at sunrise for a little 'Ocean Time'! Wonderful to see such loving care for an older pet! Heartwarming!