Sunday, May 21, 2023

Thursday one tank afternoon - 'local dive'

I did my practice on the deck of our room, or at least I started there. The locals were burning 'something', pretty stinky and lots of smoke, so after my Warm Ups I came inside the room for a round (right side)

A typical sunrise at Malapasqua Island - Home of the famed Thresher Shark Encounters - 


We skipped the super early (boat leaves at 5:30 am) Thresher Shark dives to have some 'down time' and opted for the one tank mid afternoon. We went to a 'local site' so the boat time was way less than the 50 minute ride out to Kemod Shoal where the shark cleaning station is. 

Well there was a ripping current at the surface. I was flapping like a flag on the mooring line while descending. There was a steady stream of bubbles going sideways from the divers below us and the visibility was terrible, making for a challenging descent. 

Once we were at depth the current was almost non existent. It was challenging under water photography, mostly because of the poor visibility. We did see Sea Horse and an assortment of other strange creatures.

I did my practice mid morning on the deck.