Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Wednesday Practice - Swimming in Air -


 It's cool (high 40's) and damp this morning. All in all not very pleasant or inspiring. Two weeks of crappy weather is starting to get to me. I guess this is why we usually come back north to New England a bit later than mid-April?  On the positive side of things; April showers bring May flowers!

After a couple of hours of packing my U/W photography gear in my new Pelican Camera Case, I ended up practicing up in The Loft to Master Liangs music. After a brief Warm Up I did a Round on the left side.

One of the principles that I focused on during this mornings practice session is the idea that the air is 'heavy' like water. (water is 40 times more viscous that air ) During this mornings session, I continually tried to access the feeling of resistance from the air with interesting results. Very productive session.

I once asked William C. C. Chen about why he moved his hands the way he did. His answer was because of the resistance from the air. On the way home from that seminar (Thanks to Sifu Jimmy Morris for hosting him) I simply rolled down my window and stuck my arm out at about 70 miles per hour and I sure could 'feel' the air. I could also easily access the feeling of less resistance by simply adjusting my hand like a birds beak on a weather vane, facing the fingers into the direction of the wind and voila, less resistance!

I often practice into the wind while I'm practicing on the beach in NSB. It's a little more challenging to access the 'feeling' of swimming in air when there is no to little wind. But it is accessible if you 'tune into it'. 

I ended up practicing in The Loft today because I did my Round (left side) to Master Liangs music.

I noticed at that particular pace that it was easier to access the feeling of "In every movement the entire body must be light and spirited". I was able to calibrate and tune into the feeling of my entire body feeling light-er. 

First in the Warm Ups and then in the Solo Form practice. 

Back to packing for the trip on Tuesday. Oh boy, it's getting real-er by the day!! Don't blink, we'll be in the air....