Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Tuesday Practice @ The Studio - Bow Stance details

 

I went in to lead Tai Chi class at The Studio this morning from 8-9:30. The weather was still cold and rainy so I would have been practicing inside anyway. 

I tried to get there early enough to practice some Bagua Zhang with Sandy (and Sally) but alas the traffic and timing only allowed for a few minutes of training. I talked about the Song in the weighted leg moving the forward leg with release. Every step could be a push. Then I talked about the Palm and what and how to get the proper amount of stretch in the connective tissue, so that it becomes conductive to Jin and Qi. I talked a bit about the benefits and importance of Walking the Circle in Bagua training. Walking the Circle is good for you health and also good for martial arts.

As the class formed I started the Warm Up Qigong's. During the session I reviewed several principles, especially the idea that:
The larger muscles are released and the smaller muscles along the bones, connective tissue and fascia are gently stretched, in order to be conductive to the Jin's of T'ai Chi Ch'uan.

Before the Round I demonstrated the desired front position and rear position in a shifting Bow Stance. The idea is to not go too far forward so that you would be easily pulled out of your stance and when you are back you should be in a neutral position and not easily pushed out of your stance. The trickier part is to keep your 'root' while stepping as in the transitions between postures. 

We did Part I of the form on the left side and then I switched to the right side. 

After the Round I did a Healing Qigong.

I finished with a Round of the Tai Chi Jian Form.