Thursday, August 24, 2023

Thursday Practice

 

I started my practice today on the deck with a modified Warm Up and a Round (left side)

At 9:30 I drove down to Hatfield to work with Paul C. from 10-11 ish. I consider these sessions some of the most important in my career. I've witnessed two full transformations while we were training. 

FYI - Internal martial arts practices like T'ai Chi Ch'uan and Bagua Zhang are designed to be transformative. The practitioner must look to become more and more aware of this transformation. I'm able to recognize when a transformation takes place. In both instances the transformation was instant for Paul. I merely pointed it out.

We started upstairs in his 'tai-chi' room. Beautiful space to exercise in. I led him through several Rounds of the first half of Part I. Focusing on the proper amount of stretch in the fascia to turn it 'on' and I pointed out the fascia's connection to the Vagus Nerve which is important to fend off anxiety and panic attack. It's one of the reasons why these arts can help calm and center a person. Some of the effect one feels is the unconscious connection between the fascia and vagus nerve.  Moving helps stretch and release the fascia and has a positive effect on the Vagus Nerve. Cool Beans!

After a few Rounds we did Bagua Zhang circle walking around my napsack. Nothing fancy, but walking is one of the things that is transformative for Paul. I merely had him walk around something stationary and encouraged him to change directions. From clockwise to counter-clockwise etc. When we went downstairs I encouraged figure eight walking around his kitchen counter and dinning room table.

After Bagua Walking we did a bit of single hand Push-Hands. Once he was able to close his eyes and 'feel' the contact with me he had a transformation that happened instantly. He felt it too!! Again..Cool Beans!

A little more conversation downstairs with Paul and Jean and I drove back north stopping at Chyzlecks for corn on the cob and then Fosters for a shrimp ring and supplies. 

I saw Doug H. in the parking lot. Kay broke her wrist....Ugh! Wrists are tough to heal....Complicated joint.