Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Tuesday Practice

 

I went in to The Studio to teach the Tuesday morning T'ai Chi Ch'uan and Qigong class from 8-9:30.

Sally, Nancy and Janee were able to make it. We started with a Warm Up. I did a similar routine to what I did on my own on Monday. The initial moving the lymph toe up heel down exercise then the first 5 of The 10 Exercises, then I did the first half of Sifu Ray's Warm Ups. The first half has a heavy concentration on the upper body. Then I went back to The 10+ and I explained in some detail what I was attempting to do and the awareness' that I used to work on those principles.
One of the main things I pointed out and carried into the Solo Tai-Chi Form was the notion of the 4-Corners staying 1. Unified (most if Tai-Chi is practiced with the 4-Corners (2 shoulders - 2 hips) unified. 2. Shoulders rotate further that the hips (as in the yogic movements of Repulse Monkey and Wave Hands Like Clouds). 
With the shoulders held like a suspension bridge (down and relaxed).  First I clasped hands and brought them overhead, the I stretched the lower spine and hips down and away from the shoulders without the shoulders moving downward (or up). First rotate from the hips, turning the lower spine right to left with the shoulders staying alignment with the hips. Then once the hips come to an end point continue rotating the shoulders in the same direction. When you rotate back, first un-rotate the shoulders and then un-rotate the hips and shoulders.
 
After the Warm Up and a short water break we did a Round (right side) focusing on the 4-Corners and awareness of the waist and lower spine turning side to side, front to back etc.