Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Wednesday Practice


 Sunrise at 6:53, low tide at 10:24 slight breeze from the south, just enough to make it comfortable and keep the no-see-um's away. Yay!

After setting up my tripod and camera I took a few shots. The color was best right before the sun rose out of the horizon. This is often the case. Once the sun peaks out from the horizon the color usually disappears. I had a short visit with Nevin who stopped to say hi as she was walking south.


After visiting with Nevin I did a full Warm Up using The 10+ Exercises. I used the Single Leg Standing Set from Cheng Style Bagua Zhang for #9.

Next I did a Round (right side) focusing on my whole body being light and agile. I contemplated the use of 'free will' to direct my practice. Is there really such a thing as 'free will'? I attempted to get mentally out of the way and just let 'it' happen, from simply 'doing it'. This idea of everything being predetermined from the onset of the 'big bang'.....is an interesting concept. I know in playing music, especially when improvising, overthinking will ruin it! 

                  Mushin - Wuxin

             No Mind 

Mushin in Japanese and Wuxin in Chinese (無心 "no mind") is a mental state. Zen and Daoist meditators attempt to reach this state, as well as artists and trained martial artists. They also practice this mental state during everyday activities.

*IMO - In order to be useful in real time, whether it's music and self-defense, it's important that 'it' is unconsciously competent.

The fourth F = Forgetting