Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Wednesday Practice

 


I shot this with my phone camera. When I looked out the backyard I could tell that it was going to be yet another washout of a sunrise. I guess I was spoiled in previous years?

The Details:

It was 63 here at the house. A light breeze was coming from the land side (west). The Atlantic was flat. I saw several dolphins breach. Because of the light W breeze there were a few no-see-um's buzzing around my face and neck. Ugh! Those pesky no-see-ums are good fodder for internal practices....I guess?

The sunrise was at 6:44, that feels too early. I'm ready for 'spring ahead' daylights savings time! I'm having a challenging time getting to the beach 10-15 minutes before sunrise, it just seems too early. I liked 7:15 much better.

There's been a lot of 'wash out' sunrises this season. I think I've been spoiled by the wonderful sunrises of year past. Oh well...The earth is still spinning and I'm still healthy enough to practice on the beach at sunrise;^) Yay!

The last high tide was at 5:04. The tide was going out, so there was plenty of beach to practice on. Although I had to watch for the dominant wave coming up to my practice spot at the waters edge.

There were a lot of tourists on the beach this morning. Some were talking loudly into their phones. This is super common in 2024. It seems that everyone is addicted to their phones. It amazes me that these folks travel to be by the sea only to be totally consumed in their phone and social media. I can sort of understand it with teenagers but mature adults? Hmmm!


The Practice:

Every 7 years, a human being replaces all the cells in your body. I'm in year 8 of my Retirement Retreat. I'm fully involved with my own internal meditative practices. It's very different compared to when I was teaching full-time. It's the first time I've been practicing on my own since the mid 1970's. It's more difficult and it demands more self-discipline without a class and teaching schedule. I have to set the schedule for myself. So far, so good! With gratitude and appreciation. 

I started my practice this morning with a full round of The 10+ tuned into the horizon and feeling the effects of continuously doing these special exercises on a daily basis for decades. I liken practicing The 10, to my oral health routine before bed:

Don't think

Just Do

Overthinking and negative self speak will usually interrupt the training.

Next I did a Round (Taiji - left side) tuned in to observing and distinguishing between unconscious competence and unconscious incompetence. When I notice a flaw I consciously adjust 'it' to be more correct.

I strive to imbue my form with The Principles first with conscious thought but eventually with less and less conscious thought but still there.

Next I did a round of Anyo Dalawa and Seisan Kata tuned in to the quality of my basics, focused on full extension of kicks and punches.

Next I used my walking cane to do a round of Taiji Jian tuned in to the tip and using my waist to direct the weapons movements.

I finished with a Healing Qigong before returning to the house.