Monday, April 29, 2024

Monday Practice

        I shot this image with my phone camera mid-morning. It was warm an delightful for exercising.


 The Details:

It was 59 at the house. Sunrise was at 5:47. It's cloudy but not raining! The spring qi is palpable, thick and strong here in the shire (Leyden).

The Practice:

I practiced in the driveway facing south.

I started with a round of Taiji Dao using Master T. T. Liang's sword. It felt fabulous to be practicing with his broadsword (Dao) again. It's heavier than I remember!

Next I did a modified warm up using The 10+ mostly, but interspersed with several other spontaneous improvised methods that I was inspired to do.

Next I did a Round (left side) to a metronome set at 70 bpm with two tones. I'm finding it helpful to maintain focus and to not overthink. I also focused on:

Yang Cheng Fu's Ten Essential Points for Taiji Quan: 

Especially #5 "Sink the shoulders and let the elbows hang down loosely."

Master Paul's commentary on #5:

"Sinking the shoulders means that the shoulders must be relaxed and free and allowed to hang loosely. If one cannot relax them, they will begin to rise with the result that the qi will also rise and the entire body will be without real strength. Letting the elbows hand down loosely means to let them relax completely. If the elbows are held up, the shoulders will be unable to sink, and one will not be able to push an opponent far away. This will resemble the broken off energy of the external schools."

Next I did a round of Anyo Pito observing that my postures and flow are improving.

Next I did a round of Sunsu Kata tuned into the changes I'm making and the overall sequence and postures of the Kata.

I ended with a Healing Qigong

Note:

I'm getting many more spontaneous inspirations that lead me to new methods and exercises in Leyden. It's fabulous to practice here!

With gratitude and appreciation.