Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Wednesday Practice 2.8.23


 The Photo:

It was in the low 60's this morning with a slight breeze from the south. The tide was coming up (low at 4:17am - high at 10:26) but there was still enough hard pack sand to practice on. The sun rose at 7:09 this morning but there was a very heavy cloud bank. There was this cool 'window' in the cloud cover that the sun pocked it's light through. I love the sun beams shining through the clouds. 

The Practice:

My personal experience lately:

I've been having a tougher time getting up and going to the beach on time for sunrise the last few days. With Ginnie away I thought it would be easier but no, I've got a bunch more chores to do first thing. Just that little bit makes it more difficult to approach. Most people don't understand how tenuous a daily practice is. But it's a difficult thing to do consistently with the 'correct' spirit/intent. 

It's difficult to get myself organized in time to be on the beach before sunrise, but the benefits of  practicing while the sun is rising is worth the effort. It's a magical time of day!

I was focused on aligning to release and using counter-balancing to increase my level of release. Specifically focusing on timing my upper and lower body movements away from my center to facilitate the most efficient and relaxed in balance movements that I can:

Stand like a poised scale

(a well-balanced scale),

Move like a cartwheel

(Trying to feel even more stable with unconscious relaxed balance while in movement)

 *I primarily evoke the feeling of a bicycle or motorcycle become more stable with speed.

   When moving I tune into my internal gyroscope; Zhong Ding (central equilibrium).

 

Notes:

It was a very social morning first a rather long interaction with Kelly and her dog Buddha Joseph. I posted a sunrise a few days ago with her and Buddha’s silhouette against the sunrise. It was cool timing.

Then I saw Bob and Mike. They stopped on their way south to chat. Mike said he has been working on the exercise to encourage his right foot from dropping. He is simply bringing his toes towards his shin as often as he thinks about it. I suggested thinking of your foot ‘rolling’ from heel to toes. Right now his right foot is slapping the ground on every right sided step. Gentle encouragement!

PS – The #4 exercise in The 10 Exercises (The Phoenix Stretch) strengthens the front of your shin and stretches the calf (back of lower leg). If done regularly will keep your gate young longer that without it. Guaranteed!

Exercise is medication

Take it regularly and it works!