Saturday, April 8, 2023

Saturday Practice


 The Photo:

It was very still this morning with no discernible wind. No wind means; No-See-Ums! Oy!!

Sunrise was at 7:06 with the last low tide at 5:01. There was plenty of hard packed sand to practice on. But the no-see-ums were a challenge to my mental focus.


The Practice:

I spent a fair amount of this mornings practice attempting to stay focused and not get distracted by the no-see-ums, especially while doing my Round (left side). I did manage to get a full Warm Up and a Round in with a bit of Standing Meditation and my usual Healing Qigong at the end.

I had several themes this morning. First I payed extra attention to be able to withstand a pull every time I'm in a forward bow stance (push or brush knee) and being able to withstand a push while shifting to my rear leg while in a bow stance (roll back). This is a very common theme while I practice. This morning I was able to elicit a deeper feeling and refined awareness of these two important postures.

I also focused extra attention to completely releasing any tension, especially in my legs, after shifting weight off that leg and/or when an arm goes from a higher position requiring slightly more muscular effort to a lower position requiring less muscular effort. I focused on consciously releasing any excess muscular effort when it is no longer needed. This contraction/relaxation cycle is essential. I was able to get to a deeper level of Song while focusing on this principle. 

*This is also the way I teach punching/blocking/kicking in the American Karate System. The contraction is only at the point of focus then the entire body completely relaxes in order to prepare for the next technique.


                                                  "Take your foot off the brake after you've turned the corner "

                                                                                   - OR - 

                                                                       "Don't ride your brakes!!"


Notes:

I saw:

Lot's of tourists. I guess because it's Easter Sunday tomorrow?

The 4 walkers were only three but they had Paul with them.

I know, Paul the Jogger on the weekend.....Highly unusual!

Please leave a comment or email me.....Thanks!

Email Sifu Roy