Sunday, April 23, 2023

Sunday Practice

The Loft practice area. Looking south down Beaver Meadow and East Hill
 


Rainy and cold outside so I practiced up in the loft this morning.

I spent a few moments contemplating the ultimate purpose for learning T'ai Chi Ch'uan? Once the initial learning of the Solo Form is accomplished (the correct sequence) then the task at hand is much more challenging; The daily practice of the Solo Form.

This morning I was contemplating what it feels like inside of me after 40+ years of regular practice. It's hard to describe but one of the things I noticed is similar to what happens with mastering a coordination on a drum set or learning to drive a standard shift vehicle. After a period of time what you know in your mind descends into your body and your mind is no longer burden with the 'learning' of said coordination. 

I find this paradigm is also present in relationship to imbuing the Solo Form with correct T'ai Chi Ch'uan principles. 

I reflected on the line from Master T. T. Liang's book:

 T'ai Chi Ch'uan for Health and Self-Defense - Philosophy and Practice:

"Carefully examine what the ultimate purpose is - the enhancement of longevity, rejuvenation, and immortality."