Monday, August 14, 2023

Monday Practice

 


I practiced on the deck again. GG walked around the block and Echo stayed with me. He is soooo helpful;^)

I started with a full Spear session. First target practice, slipping the Spear Head into a space. I've been using the fork between the branches of this bush along the west side of the deck. I'm getting pretty accurate with the Jab on the right side. Left side is a little behind.....I'm working on it in the Bagua Spear Set that I'm developing. I spent 1/2 hour or so working on the intro and #1 change of the Bagua Spear Set. It's slowly flushing out;^) and very fun to practice. I started working on the tip in the lower position during the Bagua Circle Walking (BCW), still attempting to keep the tip itself stationary during the BCW. Afterwards I reviewed the Tai-Chi 13 Spear Two Person Set on the left side forward. I'm still challenged by Part II, but Parts I & III are clear.

I then went through The 10 Exercises+ 

I'm regularly substituting the Cheng Style Single Leg Standing Set from Master Zhang Jie for other #9 variations. Doing this Set is having a positive effect on the remainder of my practice. While I'm I'm practicing this Set I'm reminded of the benefit of counter balancing when stationary, especially in # 7 and # 8. 

During my daily Round (right side) I focused on several principles. Among them:

- Feeling my skin slightly stretching, as evenly as possible from head to toe and finger tip to soles of the feet.

- The many paradox that are constantly occurring during a Round. One of the main paradox that is regularly occurring is at the conclusion of a movement once the 'posture' is fully formed. 

- Stopping externally (but not really stopping) and following the movements 'momentum' internally (like water sloshing side to side). 

- Concluding without actually stopping

- Care to not overlap or 'splice' the movements together.

- Strive to understand the exact moment when one movement concludes and the next one begins.

- Be conscious of how long you hold the conclusion. 

*(In Master T. T. Liang's counting the 'conclusion' is 1/2 beat). This amount of time is totally connected to the speed that you are moving at. The slower the longer, the faster the shorter.

- Coordinating the internal and the external. The secret is in Hun/Haah Breathing. During the Hun (inhale) I visualize my ch'i coming into my center (core). During the Haah phase, as the movement of my limbs expand away from my core, I visualize my ch'i extending out to the tips of my fingers and the soles of my feet.  
        " The internal and the external must be in coordination" 

- Another coordination of internal and external is having the feeling of balance (internally) before you attempt to lift the unweighted foot (externally) off the ground. 

*Feeling first, physical movement second!