Sunday, August 27, 2023

Sunday Practice

 

Green Tea and Classical music - It's Sunday morning - In solidarity with Master Paul and Sifu Ray - Thinking of you guys! 

I started my practice out in the driveway with Tai-Chi Broadsword

I started by polishing Master T. T. Liangs Broadsword. I was gifted the right side of Master Liangs personal Double Broadswords back in the early 2000's by Sifu Ray during my last visit to the Twin Cities for a demo that they had organized. For my part in the demo I performed the Tai-Chi Cane Form.

After polishing it I worked on the Tai-Chi Broadsword Form and some left side basics.

I started my round in my main practice spot but the mosquitoes drove me inside The Barn.

I continue to focus on feeling the effect that gently stretching (proper amount of stretch is imperative) my fascia, especially in the:
- neck
- upper torso
- lower torso
- groin/thigh
- feet/calf
and the effect that this gentle stretching of the fascia has on the Vagus Nerve. Once the Vagus Nerves are stimulated I focused on the effect on the parasympathetic nervous system . 

"The vagus nerve is an integral part of your autonomic nervous system. This part of your nervous system controls the things your body does without your conscious input, such as breathing, digesting food, and sweating. 

Specifically, the vagus nerve is part of the parasympathetic nervous system, which calms your body after you've been in a stressful situation. The vagus nerve carries signals from your brain to other parts of your body, like your heart or intestines, to initiate this process."

The vagus nerve provides signals from your brain to your body, regulating your:
  • Heart rate
  • Taste
  • Speech
  • Skin sensations
  • Muscle sensations
  • Immune response
  • Respiratory rate
  • Blood pressure
  • Mucus production
  • Saliva production
  • Digestion
  • Frequency of urination
  • Mood

The opposite of the parasympathetic nervous system is the sympathetic nervous system. This is another part of the autonomic nervous system. It helps you enter fight-or-flight mode when needed.

This information comes from: WebMD.com


I did Part III of my Round in The Barn this morning.

Before I started I did a 10 min w/ Chinese Music Balls trying to get them to 'sing'. 
Excellent exercise for hand dexterity and fluid motion between fingers, palms and wrists.