Thursday, January 25, 2024

Thursday Practice

Sunrise was another wash out. Just after sunrise it did lighten up. 
Eventually the sun did break through the heavy cloud bank on the horizon.

The Details:

The sunrise was at 7:17, high tide at 8:32. It's 65 here at the house. I overdressed and had to take my hat and hoodie jacket off after my warm up.

It was very misty/foggy on the beach with only soft sand to practice on. 

The Practice:

I did a full warm up using The 10+, after I set up my camera rig, Upon second thought I should have left my camera rig home. My phone would have been sufficient. 

Before I left for the beach I looked out the backdoor and though it would be clear at the beach...but alas, it was yet another washout, grey, misty and foggy.....Again!

Next I did a Round (right side) in the soft sand. I noticed that I'm adjusting to the soft sand and finding a way to make it useful and productive. One of the things I'm noticing is the amount of attention that I pay to foot placement and stance work in general. This is happening automatically and not so much a conscious effort. I also focused on connecting to natures energies and having a light and agile body.

Next I did a round of Anyo Walo and Sanchin Kata in the soft sand.....I focused on the horizon and my breathing.

Inhale cool air (nose)

Exhale warm air (nose)

Next I did a round of Taij Double Broadsword form with my dragon canes, focused on the 'around the head' techniques. This is such a healthy set with the heavy dragon canes. I'd prefer to use full size/weight broadswords but I don't feel comfortable using bladed weapons in public (on the beach) unless it's for a formal demonstration. 

When I practice on the beach it's always an informal demonstration, with my main goal; To stay inside and not get distracted by the passersby.