Thursday, March 14, 2024

Thursday Practice

 

I brought my Canon Rig to the beach again. It's a bit more of a pain in the neck to carry, set up and tear down but it's worth it. I'm finding that taking photos of the sunrise is an excellent way to get my butt down to the beach in time to practice/cultivate as the sun is rising. Since daylight savings I've had an easier time getting down to the beach before the sun rises; That's the best color 10-15 minutes before sunrise. With gratitude and appreciation. I get to see a lot of sunrises!! Yay!

Before sunrise

A raw (CR2) version of the top jpeg version. I shoot in Raw & JPEG simultaneously. I started doing that for u/w photography and have kept it up for the practice and education. 

The Details:

It's 64 here at that house. The sunrise was at 7:35, low tide at 7:06. The beach was wide and big, plenty of hard packed sand to practice on. Because it was low tide and warm with little to no wind, there were a lot of tourists on the beach.


The Practice:

I practiced down near the waters edge. The sand was a little mushy if I stayed in one place too long. 

I started with a full round of The 10+ tuned in to stretching the skin, fascia, nerves and connective tissue.

Next I did a Round (left side) tuned in to 'swimming in air' feeling slight pressure in all directions, able to find my feet when pushed of pulled in any direction and any time throughout the form, especially at the end of each posture and eventually during the transitions as well. 

Next I did a round of Anyo Dalawa and Seisan Kata tuned in to the quality of my basics, full extension of my kicks and punches and agility throughout the forms.

Next I used my dragon canes to do a 'cane warm up' and a session of Arnis and Taiji basics tuned in to the health benefits for my fingers, hands, wrists, arms and shoulders. I also tuned into the martial benefits from reviewing and contemplating the applications of the discreet exercises.

I finished with a Healing Qigong as I was returning to the house.

We have Dave and Melinda arriving later today. They'll be staying with us until next Tuesday afternoon. 

Notes:

Paul stopped by to chat. He was on his bicycle on his way south. He divulged that he was a fan of MMA. My comment was MMA is the worst thing to happen to martial arts ......ever? OMHO

"Martial arts are not for brutalizing other human beings." 

                                                       Grand Master Duan Zhi Liang

The basic principle in martial arts is to NOT FIGHT, de-escalate whenever possible. Martial arts is best practiced as a way of life, not a sport.

Proper martial arts training over a long period of time will develop an indomitable spirit.

 Humans fighting for their life will bite, scratch, eye gouge when push comes to shove humans will do most anything to survive. 

Martial arts training without philosophy and spiritual development is not healthy. Just physical training is incomplete. It may make a better fighter in the short run, but that kind of training is not great in the long run. Especially after 60!