Saturday, July 18, 2026

Saturday Practice

 



The Details and Notes:

It's 62 at the house. The sunrise was at 6:28. It's forecast to be cooler today with a little less smoke but rainy this afternoon.

The Air Quality today ended up being pretty poor, although I couldn't really tell and neither could Jeff. It's not nearly as bad as what Tom Sokol and I experienced in Beverly Mass at the first Modern Arnis Camp we went to back in 1987. That was so bad we put our mattresses on the floor in the dorm room so we could get under the smoke (you could see it!) and breath relatively clear air (not). I don't think I'd be doing that in 2026! Nope!!

I've got Jeff coming up at 10 for training.

Chris and Jim drove up to retrieve her water bottle.

We went to the calling hours for Bobby's mom yesterday and then to The Farm Table for dinner; I got really sick when we got home. Ugh!

The Practice:

I started in my main practice area with a brief Warm Up focused on Consistency, Health and stretching my Fascia.

Next I did a Round (left side) reciting the Taiji Classics during Part I

After Jeff we started with Tea and Conversation

Next we did a round of Yin Style Baguazhang 8 Palms Changes 1-8. I recited the names of the Postures on Changes 1-5 and the rest where I could. I referred to my notes often, but the wind was messing with my papers (Ugh!). We focused on #6 and #7

Next we did a round of Cheng Style Baguazhang 8 Animal Palms Changes 1-4 in the correct placement on the circle. I talked about adjusting for age and injury (Jeff's lower back has been an issue that he deals with on a regular basis) FYI - Injuries Suck!!

Next we did a round of The Taiji San Shou (Dance) primary side first stopping at various places to acquire more skill and detail 1- Wave Hands 2 - Da Lu 3 - Push Hands (horizontal, vertical and stepping) 

Next we did the second side for Sequence.

That took all of our two hours (10-noon) and it started to rain. Plus Jeff's back was getting tight so it was time to stop.