Monday, January 30, 2023

Monday Practice 1.20.23

 

The Photo:

It was warmer yet this morning (mid 60’s), with hardly a detectable breeze, coming from the south. The tide was high at 3:59 am but going down with low tide at 10:24 am. There was plenty of hard packed sand to practice on.

The Practice:

This morning I was focused on Unconscious Competency; Just letting my body’s memory and my unconscious mind take over.

 I focused on getting my conscious mind to stand down and getting the overthinking part of my mind out of the way and allowing the postures and movements naturally form on their own.  

The steps: Form, Function, Feeling, Forgetting

 

One way of thinking about this process from my drum set study:

1.      Unconscious Incompetence

2.      Conscious Incompetence (extremely important to be aware of incompetence)

3.      Conscious Competence

a.      Most training is developing conscious competency from conscious incompetency

4.      Unconscious Competency (The Eventual Goal) – This takes time and regular practice!

a.      You are able to perform whatever technique or principle, with little to no conscious effort.

b.      Eventually it becomes effortless and all the principles are still present. No degrade and actually better than with conscious effort.

 

Notes:

I had a couple stop and do several of my Warm Ups with me #3, #4, #5 and #6. I didn’t take a photo or remember their names (Darnell and ???). I saw them again as they were walking south.

I also saw Mailman Bob and his friend Mike. They stopped to talk. I guess Mike had Covid and also a problem with his right knee. I saw that he was limping just slightly. It was good to see them out walking again.

I also saw Rita her dog Louie to wave to. She came out on the 20th Ave boardwalk to take a peek at the ocean.