Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Tuesday Practice 1.31.23

 

The Photo:

It was warmer this morning, in the mid 60’s, with a very faint breeze from the south (I think). I immediately needed to take my windbreaker off and was plenty warm with a t-shirt and long-sleeved sun shirt. The tide was high at 4:54 this morning and low at 11:19 am. There was still plenty of hard packed sand to practice on.

I used my Sony camera on a tripod this morning. I captured this photo just before the sun came over the cloud bank and the bird just happened to be flying south. I love the way the rays of light shine before the sun makes its appearance. Once the sun comes up all the color washes away .

With gratitude and appreciation!

 

The Practice:

This morning my main focus again was maintaining Zhong Ding or Central Equilibrium throughout my Warm Ups and Standing Meditations. Once I arrived at “Standing like a poised scale” with relaxed balance, sinking my mind and qi downward to the soles of my feet. I attempted to maintain a state of being whereas the entire body is held plumb erect (neutral posture), first while being still then while moving. My focus was to maintain that idea in my mind throughout and notice when I’m not and then without emotion (good luck) simply return my mind to attending to my Zhong Ding. Without this state of being in force throughout, there’s no possibility of any higher level of achievement. Your balance rules the day!

My student/friend Gary came over for 1 ½ hours of Modern Arnis 6’ Staff/Spear practice. It felt really good to review some 6’ Staff basics.

Gary smiles a lot when he is playing Modern Arnis. He just L O V E S it!! Here he is having fun in my backyard.



 

Notes:

I saw one of the ‘walking crew’, to wave to, this morning.

Afterwards I saw Bob the Mailman and his walking pal Mike. They stopped and we had a discussion about strengthening the muscle on his right shin bone. It’s the muscle that lifts you toes towards you shin. It’s #4 in The 10 Exercises (The Phoenix Stretch). Mikes has been aware that he is unable to lift his right foot when he is walking these days. So his right foot slaps down as he is walking forward. I encouraged him with a minimal effort he can strengthen that muscle and change his gate for the positive.

I also saw Rita and that walking crew in back of Las Brisas to say hi too.

We had a new garage door installed this morning. So I need to get back to the house to prepare.

I did not dally;^)