Friday, May 5, 2023

Friday Practice - Toss the Salad


Jeff's outside practice spot this morning. 

After taking care of some biz details, we did several Rounds of Master Liang's - T'ai Chi Dance - It's been awhile! 

I stayed on the 'A' side and it got more and more familiar with each iteration. Thanks for the partner work Jeff.

We explored:

The 'line of power' when issuing or receiving. 

Keeping a 'neutral' posture. First at the end of the movement, then throughout the transitions between the postures.

The optimal distance between feeder (yang) and receiver (yin)

When Jeff had to leave for a meeting I continued with a Round (right side) of the Solo Form. After my Round I proceeded to practice Bagua Zhang (1st Yin Fu Set) around the magnolia tree that was in bloom. Very nice practice!!

When I left Jeff's I drove into the YMCA for a Cybex session. I'm really beginning to like how that workout makes me feel. The all important attending to my 'lean body mass'. Super important after 60! 

That's it for today.

Please email me if you're looking at this:

Email Sifu Richard



 I'm going over to Sensei Jeff's house to practice with him from 8-9, then to the YMCA for some Cybex training. Then I have a few chores and drop off an itinerary to Travis and Chris for our upcoming trip to the Philippines. 

Toss the Salad:

This concept refers to the training schedule for things (forms, drills, partners work etc.)  that you do not practice on a daily or weekly basis. 

This morning I'll be reviewing a few two person exercises with Jeff. 

Since I've semi-retired, I do not usually practice some of the more advanced two person exercises/drills because I do not have a training partner in New Smyrna Beach (NSB). 

In NSB I have one student, but he is a beginner and he doesn't have a training partner 1/2 of the year (he lives in Nova Scotia 1/2 the year). So I primarily focus on solo training with him. 

I miss the two person training, so I'm looking forward to meeting with Jeff this morning. Fun!!